Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Harvest is Plentiful, but the laborers are few!

I know many of you have probably heard this passage a million times or have already resolved many times to help the poor and needy more this coming year. But the Lord really spoke to me on Sunday during my Bible study, He told me that I was not giving of my possessions and time as much as I should for other people. You could say he was telling me that I am being greedy! Also he has convicted me to keep laboring and harvesting the pletiful harvest. Like the analogy in Matthew, we are to keep telling others about Christ so that they may be harvested and become laborers for the kingdom. Now you may say this sounds like terrible work, no it is joyful work! We are changing peoples lives for eternity!

Luke 12:22-34
Luk 12:13 Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me."
Luk 12:14 But he said to him, "Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?"
Luk 12:15 And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
Luk 12:16 And he told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man produced plentifully,
Luk 12:17 and he thought to himself, 'What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?'
Luk 12:18 And he said, 'I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
Luk 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.'
Luk 12:20 But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?'
Luk 12:21 So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."
Luk 12:22 And he said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on.
Luk 12:23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.
Luk 12:24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!
Luk 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
Luk 12:26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?
Luk 12:27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Luk 12:28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!
Luk 12:29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried.
Luk 12:30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them.
Luk 12:31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.
Luk 12:32 "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Luk 12:33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.
Luk 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.


The verses that I really think are my focus on helping the needy and serving the Lord through helping others are verses 32-33 "Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heaves that does not fail, where no theif approaches and no moths destroy. For where your treasure is, there will your heart me be also."



I feel that this past year the Lord has helped me to come out of my comfort zone in many areas, I been able to help the poor and needy in ways I could never imagine myself doing before. I was able to be a mentor to younger girls and I was so glad that I could help them in their walks with the Lord and with domestic abilities and been a friend to them. Never before have I had so many prayer requests, never before have I had so many opportunites for the kingdom of the Lord to grow stronger and bigger, never before have I seen so many miracles. This past year has been a fruitful year for the harvest, but the workers are still few and the harvest is bountiful! Ladies please in this new year along with me help the needy and give to the kingdom lasting treasures that cannot be stolen from us or become as dust.



Matthew 9:37-38 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."


We need to pray earnestly that the Lord will bring out more believers to help us gather the harvest, but that we will keep diligently gathering it!

I have said many times that I will start giving my money monthly to different causes such as Compassion child, I have wanted to start helping a child monthly and I have also wanted to start giving to a dollar for a drink. I am a fan of both organizations on facebook and I feel I would love to help both causes.



Now besides helping the needy in other parts of the world, I know we should be helping in our communities as christians. I have done this in a small few ways, such as helping at Crosslink International once a month sorting meds to send out to missionaries in foreign countries to give and use for their medical needs in foreign countries. I have been helping in that small way locally, I feel I can do more.

For right now I think a good way to help locally will be serving my family as I am already doing, helping mentor some younger girls that are friends of ours who are new christians as well as their mom being a new christian. So I feel that serving them and helping them to know God better and to be their friends has helped me grow as well as been a way for me to serve the Lord better and grow myself! This year I want to grow even more! I want this year of 2010 to be another year that I remember seeing fruits and many people coming and being apart of the harvest!

I just wanted to share what the Lord has been telling me that should be a goal for myself spiritually in this new year! Have a blessed week serving Him!


In Christ,

Rebecca

2 comments:

Kimmie said...

May He continue to grow your faith and give you eyes to see the work at hand. *I am partial to orphans and adoptions myself ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Rebecca Ann said...

Yes when I Lord willing am married in the future, if its his will I would love to adopt children who don't have families. Its definately a dream of mine! Praying for you Kimmie and your husband and family as you adopt! Its a wonderful ministry to help build the Kingdom!