Saturday, November 28, 2009

A beautiful quote from Little Women

I was reading Little Women yesterday to get a refreshing break from my studies and the busyness of getting ready for christmas and cleaning up from thanksgiving and I came across this wonderful quote.

Meg and John finally find meaning in their home after conflict with each other. Meg finds her place and John also does. They both work togeather to parent their twins instead of working against each other. The last sentence inparticular I love and think is so beautiful!

"This household happiness did not come all at once, but John and Meg found the key to it, and each year of married life taught them how to use it, and unlocking the treasuries of real home love and mutual helpfulness, which the poorest may possess, and the richest cannot buy. This is the sort of shelf on which young wives and mothers may consent to be laid, safe from the restless fret and fever of the world, finding loyal lovers in the little sons and daughtars who cling to them, undaunted by sorrow, poverty, or age; walking side by side, through fair and stormy weather, with a faithful friend, who is, in the true sense of the good old Saxon word, the "house-band," and learning, as Meg learned, that a woman's happiest kingdom is home, her highest honor the art of ruling it not as a queen, but as a wise wife and mother."
- from "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott the 38th chapter entitled On the Shelf

This is so encouraging to me, I think Louisa put is quite eloquently the role of a wife and mother is not be belittled and unimportant, but a high calling worthy of glorifying our Lord with. I pray that God will keep molding me and showing me how to encourage younger girls while I am at home. Lord willing I will be able to minister to my children someday in a loving way as this quote describes.

In Christ,
Rebecca

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading that quote, it stuck with me as well (and has helped make Meg one of my favorite characters =)

Melanie said...

That is a beautiful quote! Thank you for posting it!
I had forgotten about that part in the book...

Rebecca Ann said...

I was glad to post it because I thought it was so against the grain of todays ideas. It was so unfeministic and I loved that! I plan to read this book to my children. Love the morals in there!

Melanie said...

I love the morals in "Little Women" too. (That's why I don't like the movie as much. It really put in too much modern philosophy... :-S)
I need to pick up that book again!! Um... after I finish the ten or so other books on my list... ;-)

Kimmie said...

A beautiful quote...home truly is a gift. How I love and cherish that gift from God!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Rebecca Ann said...

thanks for the comment Kimmie! I love your blog by the way! its very inspiring!

Melanie yes I don't like the new little woman movie either!! Its actually has a lot of femininism in it! its too bad. But do watch the 1952 version! Its great and is more to the book I think.

Yes I am loving the book. I keep getting interupted though by school and life! But I will finish sometime hopefully.

Danielle Pajak said...

Hey! Thanks for your comment on my Twilight blog post and for tagging me! :-D I have already been following your singinginhisname blog, and I love this post on the quote from Little Women (which I have never read! Gasp! I need to fix that! hehe!). This quote from the book certainly gives me the incentive. (I have only ever seen the movies.)

By the way, Blogger does have a better set up. I like decorating mine, as you can tell. Hehe! Welcome to Blogger! Yay!

Rebecca Ann said...

thanks for the welcome silent librarian. I am sorry I forgot your real name.

Yes I love blogger, I am not sure exactly how to decorate it yet. I am still figuring things out. Are there any websites or anything you recommend for that?