Friday, December 10, 2010

Wool Coat finished and thoughts on scraps

Hey everyone! I have been having fun using this tutorial for christmas gifts as well as having finished my modern wool coat finally! I finished it last night with the help of my sister and a dear friend also helped me modify the pattern to fit me better. It had to be taken quite a bit as well as I drafted a different collar than the original pattern. You can see my old post here about the pattern.

I used view A and we modified the sleeve to be view C's sleeve and we also made up the collar. I love my collar way better than any of the ones they had on this pattern. I also did not put the tabs over the pocket because I wanted them to be usable and not just decorative. I used 100% charcoal grey wool that I purchased at a reenactment back in October and finally its finished. The red cotten lining I purchased in Pennsylvania many years ago and it was supposed to be a dress for myself, but I thought it too bright and not my color of red so I thought a lining would be great. I have lots of left overs too for quilts and other small projects. :) love those scraps! I also would love to use my wool left overs to sew up a cloche hat! I love  this website called folkwear, but have not gotten around to buying it yet. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and its the metropolitan hat. I would love to sew it up someday! maybe christmas money will buy the pattern. See photo below! I love those rosettes don't you!

                                    

It had been mostly done since november except for the collar and buttons and button holes.
So finally last night I finished it up! I needed it so badly as I had not winter coat. Yes I got rid of the one I had, which did not cut it anyway. It was a polyester/cotten blend and not very warm at all. Now I will be nice and toasty! I wore it to the store this morning with my sister and Mom as we got craft supplies for our busniess.
 
And yes it started to snow when we went outside to the the photos this morning!!! Our first snow of the season! I am so glad to have my coat done!


I love my big collar!!!


You can see the vintage 1930's red lining! I love it and I am so much warmer than in lots of sweaters in this coat!
                               
Praise God for the completion of a much needed item of clothing! It was an adventure and I hope to never have to do it again too soon.

In Christ,
Rebecca

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Rebecca, that coat is absolutely adorable and you look lovely in it!!

Gaby said...

Very pretty! I love it!

Unknown said...

So cute, you did a wonderful job!=)

Anonymous said...

What a darling coat...and you can wear it under a cape or another coat if it gets too chilly :)

Blessings,

M.

Danielle Pajak said...

Wow, Rebecca! Wonderful job! This looks so professional! Like you bought it at a high end boutique! I really love it! It fits you perfectly and the collar fits you more than the ones on the pattern (though they are nice! hehe). I love the detailed touch of the inside lining. Very pretty. I am very impressed! Good job! ;-D

That will be awesome whenever you can make that cloche hat. My sister loves those. I do too, but I don't think they look that good on me. I am more of the wide-brimmed hat person. Hehe. The cloche hat is perfect for you, though!

Lola said...

Wow, that coat is great! I'm impressed :o)

Vicki said...

Psst ... you've been tagged! Come on over to my blog for a fun Christmas quiz!

Love in Christ,
Vicki
http://butgivemejesus.blogspot.com

P.S. I love your coat! You did a wonderful job making it! :-)