Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Our Mighty God


I have seen the awesome deeds of the Lord God over and over again in the past months in my life. I have seen Him over and over again not just come through for friend and family but be there every step of the way answering prayers and needs. He is working and He is working faithfully. I have seen a pattern in my Bible study and experiences and prayers that has kept leading me to 3 attributes of the Lord the past few months; He is faithful, He is steadfast in love, and He performs mightly deeds(answers prayers and works miracles).

I believe this song really speaks about these 3 attributes, whenever we speak His name mountains move! Whenever we pray to our God, do good for our God, or are faithful to our God He is working! This is such an encouragement to me. As the verse below states he has heard my prayer over and over again and answered me in his saving faithfulness and steadfast love. Its because of these three attributes, faithfulness, steadfast love, and mighty deeds I can see more and more He is worthy of my praise and trust and will never waver in loving me.

" But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD.
  At an acceptable time, O God,
  in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness."
(Psalm 69:13 ESV)

These verses below tell of His faithfulness because whenever we see His mighty deeds, the miracles and wonders he does in our lives, we have a clear and sure promise that He is faithful. This afirms His faithfulness reaches to the clouds by His over and over again watching out for us and moving in our lives. How can God hearing our prayers and doing wondrous works not prove that he is faithful?

Psalm 77
"I cry aloud to God,
aloud to God, and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;
in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying;
my soul refuses to be comforted.
When I remember God, I moan;
when I meditate, my spirit faints. Selah
You hold my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old,
the years long ago.
I said, “Let me remember my song in the night;
let me meditate in my heart.”
Then my spirit made a diligent search:
“Will the Lord spurn forever,
and never again be favorable?
Has his steadfast love forever ceased?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?” Selah
Then I said, “I will appeal to this,
to the years of the right hand of the Most High.”
I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
I will ponder all your work,
and meditate on your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is great like our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
you have made known your might among the peoples.
You with your arm redeemed your people,
the children of Jacob and Joseph. Selah
(Psalm 77:1-15 ESV)
You may be asking what has he been doing in your life Rebecca?

Well first I would say he has reminded me over and over again that this life is so short and that we need to use the time to the best we can for His glory. I have found that by serving others and really digging deep into the Word and praying daily I find fulfillment in Christ even in this short life. There has been many a time where I did not say the right thing in a conversation or take the initiative to start a conversation to share the Gospel of Christ these past months; but God has been gracious and I have seen my family and friendship relationships growing in the Lord. I have seen that many times I feel as though I have to rush through my Bible study and then God says slow down I am always here! Over the weekend, I spent a long time just pouring over the Psalms and was not sorry I did not get some other things done so I could spend more time in Gods love letter to His bride.

I found that I kept reading about his mighty deeds happening over and over again. I kept reading about how each generation was able to share Gods faithfulness with the next because of the mighty things he had done which proved His faithfulness.

 "Give ear, O my people, to my teaching;
  incline your ears to the words of my mouth!
 I will open my mouth in a parable;
  I will utter dark sayings from of old,
 things that we have heard and known,
  that our fathers have told us.
 We will not hide them from their children,
  but tell to the coming generation
 the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
  and the wonders that he has done."
(Psalm 78:1-4 ESV
)

I pray that my generation would not hide what the Lord has done from their children! May we all be able to recount the mighty deeds the Lord has done in our lives to the next generation to tell them of the saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. This is a need! So many do not realize God is real I believe because many of us who follow the Lord are too scared or proud to recount to them what He has done. I am writing this for myself, Rebecca recount the Lords mighty deeds and works to others to share his steadfast love and faithfulness is real.
Then you may go on to read chapter 78 of psalms and you realize when it says that Gods people were not faithful, it says that God was faithful, these verses below prove this truth!
"With upright heart he shepherded them and guided them with a skillfull hand!"-psalm 78:72

Many times in the scriptures it talks about Gods people being faithful or not being faithful. I have seen many passages over the past few weeks talking about faith. I read these today that talk about how we are justified by faith as well. God is faithful to forgive us and justify us through faith! What an encouraging truth!

" What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written,
 “That you may be justified in your words,
  and prevail when you are judged.”
(Romans 3:3-4 ESV)


We see in these verses above that even if we are unfaithful that does not make God unfaithful to us! What a promise and what a relief! Even when we are in sin God will wash us and cleanse us and through faith justify us of our sin.

"Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith. For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law."
(Romans 3:27-28 ESV)


I have also been reminded by the above verse that we also still are to be faithful to God! So when we are not faithful to God we are to repent of our sin and then strive to be faithful! Just because we might fail in being faithful does not mean we should not try, because I have seen that the more I stumble the more I rely on God to help m put my faith and trust in Him alone.

And last but not least, besides His might deeds and works showing me God is real and loves me and his unending and unwavering faithfulness proving me to He is the God of the universe; His steadfast and unwavering love proves He is the true bridegroom and lover of my soul.

I have read many verses over the years, especially from the Psalms that talk about our Gods undieing and unfading love, but here is one passage I will share with you.

" Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
  for in you my soul takes refuge;
 in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
  till the storms of destruction pass by.
 I cry out to God Most High,
  to God who fulfills his purpose for me.
 He will send from heaven and save me;
  he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah
 God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!
 My soul is in the midst of lions;
  I lie down amid fiery beasts—
 the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows,
  whose tongues are sharp swords.
 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
  Let your glory be over all the earth!
 They set a net for my steps;
  my soul was bowed down.
 They dug a pit in my way,
  but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah
 My heart is steadfast, O God,
  my heart is steadfast!
 I will sing and make melody!
  Awake, my glory!
 Awake, O harp and lyre!
  I will awake the dawn!
 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
  I will sing praises to you among the nations.
 For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
  your faithfulness to the clouds.
 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
  Let your glory be over all the earth!"
(Psalm 57 ESV)

I am so grateful for this Psalm, its really just so encouraging and empowering to me! My God's steadfast love reaches to the heavens and His faithfulness to the clouds. Its never ending! Its never wavering! He will never cease from loving me even though I am a sinful wretch who many a time is ungrateful for His sacrifice on the cross for His bride! So many times I forget all he has done, but in this post I want to focus on Him, not me. God is steadfast in love and never wavers from hearing our prayers and petitions and pleas for His help. Praise God God alone is our Savior and friend.

In Christ,
Rebecca

No comments: