Sunday, September 29, 2013

New to Me Vintage Hat

Hi Everyone!

 Today I wore a favorite dress of mine I made a little while ago from Jennie Chancey's Swing dress pattern. Click here to see Jennie's pattern company and click here to see my posts about the process of sewing the dress.

 I hope your Lord's Day was refreshing spiritually as well as physically. For me it was so exciting to see Gods people studying God's Word and talking about the great God we serve together. It was also nice to just sit at home and read a few good books, write a blog post for a guest post on another blog, dream, pray, and spend time with my family.


 A big thank you to Mrs. Van Tuyl who gave me this lovely little black hat. The hat was originally Mrs. Vvan Tuyl's mothers hat. I imagine her wearing this litle velvet beauty to church or to a funeral or a dinner party or another special occasion of sorts. For me church is definitely a special occasion so I decided to sport this little beauty today.

 I am not sure what era it is from, but it is vintage. Mrs. Van Tuyl guessed it was from the 1930s, 40s, or 50s. I would guess from the shape and style of the hat that it is from the 1950s. Let me know if any of you have a guess too! Or do any of you know how to date hats well?


 I love to wear my pearls my mother gave me when she came back from a trip to Canada. They are real pearls, but they are the type that are naturally shaped. So they are not perfect little round balls, but in their natural textured form. My dress is made out of fabric I bought on the red tag sale table from Joann Fabrics years ago when I made the dress of course. I thought it definitely had the 1940s vibe. I believe its a rayon/polyester blend.
 And if any of you are wondering about my hair all I did was one pony tail on each side, sort of rolled backward and then each pony tail on either side of my head in twisted into a bun of sorts. Let me know if any of you would like to see a tutorial in the future. I could definitely do a video. I just played around with my hair a lot this year of 2013 and figured out a style that looks good and stays well for my curly hair type. Are there any other naturally curly gals out there? Let me know in the comments if any of you curly headed or not have tried to replicate vintage hair styles? I am definitely curious.

Love In Christ,
Rebecca

6 comments:

Virginia said...

I would say 1950s for the hat :) you look cute!

<3
~G

Rebecca Ann said...

That was what I thought. Thank you Ginny for your input because I know you are an expert. :) Love in Christ, Becca

Vicki said...

Lovely outfit! That hat looks darling on you! I love how you styled your hair as well.(:

~Vicki
decked out in ruffles

Rebecca Ann said...

Thank you Vicki! God bless!

In Christ with love, Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca Ann(do you go by just Rebecca, or Rebecca Ann?)! You posted your blog name on the Delight group, so I thought I'd check your blog out!
I LOVE your outfit! It's so classy and chic! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how you made the dress as well! (:

Rebecca Ann said...

Inkspilledwriter, You can definitely call me Rebecca. My first name is Rebecca and my middle name is Ann. :)

Thank you so much! It took me a while to make that dress, but it has been a tried and true staple in my wardrobe ever since I made it over 3 years ago. :)

I am glad you stopped by from the Delight group as well!

In Christ with love,
Rebecca