Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fort McHenry 1814 Living History Event

hello everyone!
I am so sorry for not getting these photos up faster, but I had a small problem on monday with my camera. We could not find it in our baskets that we had brought to the Fort. We found it in the cooler and it was soaked with water!!!!!!!!! I was afraid it was broken, but thank the Lord it is fine after airing out next to the air vent at our home. So the pictures were not lost. :)

Below are pictures from Fort McHenry in Baltimore Maryland, the birth place of our National Anthem which was written in poem form by Francis Scott key the last day of the end of the war of 1814. He wrote it as the battle was going on at the fort and our flag was left with holes in it, but was still flying. A great triumph for our country. Below is the Fort where they hang the modern flag inside of the Fort where it all happened. My family went to Defenders day weekend with friends as civilians and my father as a soldier in the artillery. In the photo above my father, a friend of ours, and other artillery men watch as they put the flag up at the beginning of the day on saturday the 12th of September.

My father and the other men coming back after a skirmish just in time for their rations for lunch


My father and his friend above showing their drilling.


My sister helping my father sew on a loose botton that came off of his uniform. She was there in the nic of time! :) My mother and a friend of ours on the right side watching the drilling.

All the civilians below after the parade waiting to walk with the flag during the celebration.


My mother, sister, and I and friends below watching more drilling before the parade.


I made many new friends throughout the day from as far as Minnesota.


All the soldiers drilling below. As a friend of mine said through out the day the uniforms of the 1812 war were very vibrant and colorful compared to the civil war. Not just grey and blue, but many of colors were in their uniforms.

The ladies including my sister, mother, and I and other friends hand wrote the invitations for the officers dinner party that evening. It was lot of fun to write with an ink well and old pen.


We also had to seal all of the invitations with wask seals. It was a challenge as the Fort is next to the water(baltimore harbor) so the wind kept making the wax dry more quickly than we would have liked. But they were finished after many trys.



Writing and making sure we did not forget anyone who was on the list.



Having a merry time in the process.


Having lunch with our valient soldiers.

My sister and I after lunch was over. It was a lovely day. At the end they even had a big battle with canons and we all sat on the ramparts of the Fort to watch the fire works and battle. It was a very patriotic display and I was so glad to have been there. We plan to help at the Fort again next summer and fall. But right now I am sewing up colonial frocks for monday. We have our first colonial event with our friends at Bonnets and Bayonets. Their website is on the side bar.


Then that evening we watched the battle and fire works while they raised the flag over the fort. It was an amazing evening. I never thought I would ever know what a rampart was. But I got to sit on them and watch the battle and raising of the flag with fire works. It was a great display of patriotism for our country. Basically a rampart is the wall of the Fort. The walls have grassy area on top of them and you can sit or stand on them.
Below the fireing off of the canon. It was amazing! Very loud though.


All of us watching the flag and fire works above on the ramparts. The musicians core also played many jolly tunes with their fifes and drums. It was amazing. I am very partial to the music of the colonial and 1812 periods. Its just so patriotic and I listen to it on my ipod while sewing all the time. I wish they could come to my house and play all the time. :)

Well I plan to post pictures of my finished colonial stays tomorrow and my progress on my dress when I can. Sorry its been so busy here I have not had time to post more. I want to later this week. For now I am back to sewing my colonial dress.

In Christ and God bless,

Rebecca

10 comments:

Atlanta said...

Lovely pictures! Looks like a great time!! Yall are so lucky to live where you do and have such a variety of events.

I'm so glad your camera is okay!

Mrs. G said...

The pictures are lovely and well worth the wait. Thanks for posting them!
Mrs. G

Sarah said...

Oh, how, how lovely!!! These pictures are beautiful and while reading your post and seeing the photos I almost felt as if I were there. What a wonderful event! How very special to be in such a place where such historic events took place. Wonderful! I can't wait to hear about your colonial event!

Justin Gist Preuninger said...

I was there on Saturday night!!! I'm actually preparing a post with pictures... you weren't sitting on the fort, were you?

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
This looks like so much fun!
Lovely dresses, everyone looks so historial.
Makes me want to get out my 1860's dress and wear it some more!

I wish we did reenactments here... I would love to dress up in costumes and walk around.
Our state used to allow Civil War Reenactmentes, but many of them are no longer going on do to state insurance reasons... :(


All of your blog posts are just lovely, it is always a pleasure to stop by and see what you have written.

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
This looks like so much fun!
Lovely dresses, everyone looks so historial.
Makes me want to get out my 1860's dress and wear it some more!

I wish we did reenactments here... I would love to dress up in costumes and walk around.
Our state used to allow Civil War Reenactmentes, but many of them are no longer going on do to state insurance reasons... :(


All of your blog posts are just lovely, it is always a pleasure to stop by and see what you have written.

Ana Smith said...

Wish I could have been there! What fun to do American Regency Period. ;-) I know Beth was comfy in her costume, loved that dress. Ya'll were above sweet to let me borrow it in England! :-)

Rebecca Ann said...

Ladies and Gents, I am so glad you enjoyed seeing the living history event photos. I am so thankful that we were able to go and that the Lord fixed my camera! that way I was able to share photos.

I finished my colonial dress bodice today and plan to post finished pictures before monday of it and my stays.

Ana yes what great memories of you borrowing Beths dress! I miss you and I am sending you a letter tomorrow. miss you and praying for you all.

Justin, yes my family was on the fort walls watching the evening festivities and then we had to leave to get home early enough to go to church the next morning. It was a while home. You must have been in the spectator crowd on the field I presume?

God bless everyone and thanks for the encouraging comments.

In Christ,
Rebecca

Justin Gist Preuninger said...

indeed... and I am inclined to think that either myself or my sister may have some pictures that have you in them... that's why I was curious... I'll send them to you if such is the case... :D

Caitlin said...

It looks like you ladies had a great time. I can't imagine how much work had to go into it. GREAT job!