Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hello everyone!

My family and I just arrived home from our first reenactment weekend of the summer. It was in Gettysburg, PA celebrating our countrys independance. It was a 4 day event and we had a lovely time. We are tired and exhausted and trying to get all the laundry and dishes sanitary again and done. :) I do not have pictures yet from the event, but my friend Lindsey will be sending them to me shortly. When I get them I will be sharing with you all how we live in the living history camping and doing dishes, while having to get our own water in buckets, cooking over an open fire, and all that jazz. It was lovely! We were even asked by some reporters from England about our Telegraph, domestic, and Pinkerton detective agency group and why we love to do what we do! They will be posting an article about us in their english home magazine next year. The lovely ladies said they would also send me the pictures they took of myself, and my sister, and parents and friends while we went about our tasks. They were very interested in our living history and our modern lives as well. They were a little shocked I believe when I said I had never been to a bar or club and loved going to a living history event better than that. They asked also why we thought a reenactment was better and I said this, " I feel safer at a living history event, especially because I have my dad, and the other fathers and men to protect me. I also feel loved and respected by all the family and friends around me. Men also are chivalrous and respect me and do not want to take advantage of me. At a living history event I can have more fun and be mentored by older women and men. It is a productive activity and its fun and I don't have to worry." That is not exactly what she wrote down. But that was basically what I told her to answer her question. I beleive these two women really saw something different in my sister, mother, and I are our friends. They saw the love of Christ, not a love of this world. Praise the Lord!

I also wanted to share with you a video of my sister and I playing together. We had a recital in our home, as my mother is a piano teacher in June. My sister is playing the harp and I am the one singing. We love doing music together. The peice is called " The Water is Wide" and it is a celtic tune. Enjoy! and I will post pictures as soon as I can from the event.


Now I am off to do some laundry, baking some granola Lord willing for the first time, and picking some of our squash and zuchini that is in the garden. Then I have to buckle down and finish up some school studies for my worldviews course and study to get my drivers permit. Then I have told myself I may read to my hearts content and practice piano and maybe finish my first civil war dress that I have sewn by myself. We shall see how it turns out. I will post pictures soon.

In Christ,
Rebecca

4 comments:

Stephanie Ann said...

You guys did really great! Thanks for sharing. Did you perform other songs as well?

Rebecca Ann said...

Yes Stephanie Bethany and I also performed solo peices, but not any other duets. I plan to post some of myself playing solos later today for you all enjoyment. My blog is named after my love of glorifying God through music and therefore I will be posting more of that. :)

In Christ,
Rebecca

Ana Smith said...

Ya'll did a beautiful job!

Rebecca Ann said...

thanKs Ana! Miss you and praying for you!